Saturday 22 January 2011

Ascuncion

Its hot and humid. Arrival at the airport came with its customary attack of the taxi drivers wanting my custom as I left immigration. Looking for a cash machine and finding none I could get to work I went for the money exchange instead - closed, a boy tagged onto me at this point and took me to a money exchange that was open. I changed some dollars into Guruani - He waited, I had found my new local guide.
A taxi to town was going to be expensive so I asked him to take me to the bus stop, he got me on a bus to the city and in return got a tip of about $4 and went on his way (the taxi was going to cost about $20 so we were both happy, plus the bus only cost 20pence.
The bus driver was a fan of the accelerator and brake in equal messure. Embarking or disembarking this bus was all about timing and split second reactions.
I was going to throw the scrap of a ticket the driver had given me away - lucky I didnt - it was checked twice on the short trip into town, they really dont like fare dodgers.

I wasnt entirely convinced I was on the right bus until I passed a landmark that was shown on my map. The Plasa de Uraguay, a green park the size of a city block - one of the largest in Ascuncion, and it seemed, home to the down and outs and vagrants on the city. It resembled a refugee camp with shelters made of sticks and plastic leaning against the trees. Entire families appear to be living there, cooking, sleeping, eating, existing, all in the park.

Thinking I might be getting close to my hostel I got off the bus, I was facing a sign saying 'Black Cat Hostel', I had arrived

No comments:

Post a Comment