Saturday 5 March 2011

Resistencia



Well I was due to stay in Paraguay for about six weeks at a voluntary job but the organisation at the place was lacking to say the least so I only spent two weeks there before deciding to head out for a bit more travelling. With an extra months travelling to play with I headed south out of Paraguay in the direction of Buenos Aires.First stop was Resistencia just over the boarder into Argentina, The town is very easy to sum up - dont bother going! Its a relatively pointless town to visit as a tourist with no attractions, it is in no way geared up for the transitory traveller. There are no hostels that I could find so I stayed in a cheap but nice enough hotel but this isnt a great way to meet other people and there was no internet for me to plan my next destination. In most towns this wouldnt be a problem, just find an internet cafe, it wasnt until my third and last day in town that I finally found one, and it wasnt working. I never did manage to track down the tourist information either! It rained seemingly consantly here, indoor activities are few, activities in general are few. I did spot what appeared to ba an art museum - closed. On the plus side there are a limitless amount of pharmacies here, practically one on each corner, there are only slightly fewer shops offering all manner of printing and photocopying services.

Street sculpture in rainy Resistencia

The memorable highlight of my couple of days here was a crash outside my hotel between a motorbike and a car. The bikerider lay in the street motionless in the rain for quite some time with police and bystanders milling about and not a single person giving him any medical attention. I finally headed down to the street to see if I could at least make sure he was still breathing when the ambulance arrived. There followed what seemed to be some fairly sloppy medical handling of him onto a stretcher and he was whisked away in the ambulance. I want back to watching TV in my room, I was glad to leave that evening on an overnight bus to Rosario.

No comments:

Post a Comment