Monday 11 June 2012

Surly Long Haul Trucker - Construction Begins

I am now in the early stages of building a touring bike based around a Surly Disk Trucker frame with a Shimano Alfine 11 geared hub. With the start of my bike build I have also decided to revisit my blog and record progress for all to see. Why? Well I have taken a lot of advice from other bloggers and so I would like to give something back - also I want to show off what I hope will be my snazzy new wheels. When I am finished it should look something like this (colour may vary);


 
There has been an awful lot of agonizing on my part about what I am building, it might seem a simple project but deciding on what I want out of the bike had a massive impact on what I was to build (obviously!). What frame - MTB or road? Wheels - 700c or 26''? Long tours or fast & light. The list of choices and questions was seemingly endless. I'll try to make my blogs fairly snappy and as interesting as possible but on occasion I can see already that I am going to have to get long winded and technical, but hopefully this will also prove to be informative to anyone else on the long road to building a touring bike. 


That's all for now but soon I'll blog some pictures of the build, lists of parts used, and why I have made the choices I have. I'll also tell you where I got everything and how much I paid.

3 comments:

  1. Richard, I am undertaking the same project as you, building a Long Haul Trucker and writing a blog about it. It will be interesting to compare notes. Here is a link to my initial post:
    http://www.wellsimages.com/blog/2012/6/new-bike-surly-you-jest
    Have a look if you get a chance.
    Bob Wells

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bob, Thanks for your comment, great to see another fool on the rocky road to constructing the perfect cycling machine. I'll stick a link to your site on my blog, really interested to see what your take on building a LHT is going to be. I have all my components now - well pretty much, so construction is gradually beginning.
    Feel completely free to send any questions my way - I found it hardest to get answers to the apparently simple questions.
    All the best, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard,
      For better or worse my LHT is now complete. Picture at my blog (link above). Also, I have listed my component selections and some challenges I ran into. Stop by and have a look.

      Best,
      Bob Wells

      Delete