Monday 9 July 2012

Surly Disk Trucker - Exploded View

I have a bedroom scattered with pretty much all the parts to build a fully functional bike so it looks like it is about time to pull my finger out and start putting it all together. First though I cant help myself but lay all the bits out and take a picture, as unless I get hit by a bus its unlikely to look like this again. (and what else are beds for?)


Also, I got a comment on my last posting from Robert Wells who is another individual of dubious sanity, embarking on the rubble strewn path of building his own Surly Trucker. Check out his progress here;
http://www.wellsimages.com/blog/2012/6/new-bike-surly-you-jest

And here's the science bit - slightly geeky bit too. I have been keeping track of exactly what I have been buying, where from, and how much. Since I haven't been rushing to build and finish the bike I've had the luxury to shop around and get some items a bit cheaper than I might have done on the high street. A lot of components came from the On One website as they have had some good sales on and the German bike-discount website has some great deals when the euro is down!
As you can see I have gone for an Alfine hub - I'll do a separate short posting on the wheels later as I think an entire book could be written on the choices to be made and the pros & cons of each set-up, clearly I'll be wrong in the choices I have made and there will be hoards of people telling me I should have one for carbon fiber rims with two spokes per wheel.
If you do have any questions or comments I would be very happy to hear them.


Item
Component Name
Cost
Source
Frame + Forks
Surly disk trucker 54cm
£375.00
Edinburgh cycles
Hub Gear
Alfine 11
£266.00
Front Hub
Shimano XT centre lock
£27.00
On One
Rims
Sun-Ringle Rhyno
£40.00
On One
Spokes

Inc.in build costs
-
Wheel Building
Wheelcraft
£45.00
http://www.wheelcraft.net/
Chain
KMC S1
£4.99
On One
Chain tensioner
On One Doofer
£14.99
On One
Front Cog
On One
£50.00
On One
Crank Arms
On One
On One
Pedals



Bottom Bracket
Shimano UN55 68x113mm
£15.00
On One
Gear Shifters
Versa 11
£149.99
On One
Brake Leavers
Brakes
Avid BB7 - Road
£89.00
Rotors
Shimano LX
£8.00
On One
Seat
Genesis
£0.00
Had it already
Seat Post
On One Twelfty 27.2mm
£10.00
ebay - second hand
Headset
FSA Orbit XL II
£19.99
On One
Handle Bars
On One Midge
£19.99
On One
Riser



Spacers



Tyres
Schwalbe marathon plus 26x1.35
£25.70
ebay - second hand
Tubes
Schwalbe
-
Came with tyres

No comments:

Post a Comment