Thursday 19 July 2012

Why the Surly Disk Trucker?


There were a few aspects that I knew right away that I wanted in a touring bike. Firstly it had to be designed for touring – this may sound like a daft comment to bother making but a friend was insistent that I would be better off with a mountain bike frame. ‘When you get somewhere cool you’ll be able to drop the panniers and go offroad!’. Maybe so but for the remaining 95% of the time when I will be cycling road or trail with a loaded bike I don’t want to be wishing I had something which was better designed for touring.
Other requirements were;
A steel frame – simple tried and tested material with good longevity and repairable in the field if you really really need to.
Disk brakes (Mechanical) – Why disks? Simple I like to stop when I need to. Also I won’t wear out the rims, and if a rim does go massively out of true it won’t affect the brakes. It is harder to source parts and pads but the pads are so light and small it will be nothing to travel with several spare sets.
26 inch wheels – I’ll discuss this more in my next post but basically it comes down to worldwide availability of spares (inner tubes, tyres, and rims). 26 inch should be available pretty much everywhere there are bikes but 700c may not. There is some discussion about which type is stronger, I don’t see this as an issue, the actual size difference is pretty dam small, I cannot see this making any impact on strength, lots of folk get hung up on the small size difference somehow having a great bearing on strength, by that argument penny farthing bikes should have folded as soon as a rider got aboard – but they didn’t.
Finally, I was very taken by the Shimano Alfine 11. This shouldn’t have an impact on my frame choice but it was something to consider.

Dawes Nomad - A 26inch wheel possibility

Planet X Kaffenback - Second favorite 

So with my requirements clear I went shopping and very quickly ran into the Surly Disk Trucker, it ticks all the boxes – literally the only negative I could come up with was that it has vertical rear dropouts and so I would have to run a chain tensioner if I use an Alfine hub – a pretty minor issue really, but not wanting to buy the first frame that I came across I shopped around, read reviews, blogs, and forums. There was the Planet X Kaffenback, this is probably my second choice bike, almost perfect even having replaceable rear dropouts so I could convert to horizontal dropouts and run an Alfine hub without a chain tensioner, but it only comes in 700c wheels. The Genesis Day One and Croix De Fer also look great, as do the On One Pompetamine and Pompino, Dawes Ultra Galaxy (rather extravagant name though don’t you think?), and Trek 520 - all great looking bikes but all take a 700c wheel. The Thorn Raven Enduro was briefly considered but far too expensive for my budget and built far more around trail touring with its MTB style frame and front suspension, so the Dawes Nomad perhaps? - 26 inch wheels yes, disk brakes no. So back to the Surly Disk Trucker - it seems to be everything I am after and even taking wheel size out of consideration it appears to be the only frame out of the ones I have mentioned here that is truly designed for touring (with the exception of the Dawes and Thorn) the others are road bike frames with some adaption and modification to suit touring. The Surly sells itself as a touring frame with its long chain stays creating a long wheel base for more stability which also puts the rear panniers further back to keep them away from the pedals, it has a lower bottom bracket to increase stability further, accepts wide tyre sizes (fatties fit fine according to the sales pitch) so I can use big tyres for a comfy ride or for off-road use, and finally its loaded with braze-ons; there is a place for your pump, spare spokes, three water bottles, and more importantly, decent and thought out attachment points for front and rear racks. I have yet to find fault with the specifications of this frame which in my opinion make it the ideal all round tourer, Long Haul Trucker; the name really does say it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment